Final Score: Jaguars 23-21
Stock up: QB Blake Bortles
Bortles, who struggled as a rookie last year, worked on his mechanics this offseason. It showed against Pittsburgh, completing 11 out of 15 passes for 118 yards and had a rushing Touchdown. His stats would be more impressive, but 3 of his incompletions were dropped passes that should have been caught. It’s a good start, and a good sign for Blake Bortles
Stock down: CB Davon House
Remember how many including myself thought the Jaguars overpaid for Davon House? This showed why. Steelers WR Martvaris Bryant burned House for a 44 yard touchdown. It was a horrible start for Davon House.
Stock up: RB Denard Robinson
Denard looked like he did last midseason, gaining 22 yards on 4 carries and a 34 yard kick return. Expected to take the field, on 3rd downs, this year, if Denard can up the good work, the running game could be dangerous this year.
Stock down: LT Luke Joeckel
Granted it was one play, but Joeckel was getting beat by OLB James Harrison, who is almost twice the age that Joeckel is. Joeckel is expected to be decent but he looked horrible which isn’t encouraging. If the former 2nd overall pick, continues to struggle, the Jaguars might have to look elsewhere.
Stock up: DE Cap Capi
Who? An undrafted rookie from Akron, Cap recorded both of the teams two sacks, and stood out from the defensive line, which struggled without 3 out of 4 regular starters. Keep on eye on Cap.
– Backup QB Chad Henne played extremely well, but 3rd string QB Stephen Morris struggled.
– RB Bernard Pierce and RB Toby Gerhart had a fair share of good runs. RB Storm Johnson didn’t perform well and might not make the 53 man roster.
– WR Allen Robinson looked great, while 5th round rookie WR Rashad Greene had a 37 yard punt return.
– One receiver who has surprised many is journeymen Arrelious Benn. A former 2010 2nd round draft choice from Tampa Bay has struggled with injures in his 5 season career. Arrelious had a 27 yard reception against Pittsburgh and might make the team.
– TE Julius Thomas got hurt after a 2 yard catch and is out for the preseason. Thomas has struggled with injures and needs to stay heathy.
– SS Jonathan Cyprien was injured as well, and is out for the preseason. Cyprien didn’t perform well before the injury.